|

Most people living in these modern times take the convenience of electricity for granted. For this reason, faulty electrical wiring can wreak havoc in your daily life. Unfortunately, many old houses are not up to code. This means wiring needs to be updated to prevent tripping, destroyed appliances, electrocution, and electrical fires.

Faulty wiring doesn’t just refer to a wire that looks old and frayed. You have faulty wiring if you have incorrect voltage coursing through your system. This can happen when wires deteriorate with age, are damaged by rodents, or when the one that installed the system cuts corners to save on expenses.

Unfortunately, faulty wiring results in higher electricity bills because the wires release more electricity than needed to keep your appliances running. Apart from draining your money, it will cause surges and overheating, which is a fire hazard. For these reasons, it is important to keep an eye out for signs of bad electrical wiring. Take a look at the 5 most common ones below:

Circuit Breakers Are Always Tripping

The circuit breaker is really designed to trip. It stops the electrical flow when your circuit is overloaded. However, if your breakers constantly trip beyond the normal standard, it shows there’s a problem. You can try reducing the number of electronics plugged into the circuit. Then, replace the circuit breaker as it may be old. However, if both steps don’t resolve the issue, you must call an electrician to check for more complex wiring problems. Your system may not be up to code and can no longer accommodate today’s power-guzzling appliances.  

Lights Keep on Flickering

One flickering light means the bulb needs to be changed. However, if certain areas in your house trip, it shows you’ve got a problem with that particular circuit. Additionally, if all the lights in your home flicker, it indicates something is terribly amiss, so an immediate electrical inspection is crucial. You must also watch out if your lights dim when you plug in a certain appliance or if light switches emit a buzzing sound when turned on. These are huge red flags that need attention.

Electrical Receptacles Feel Hot

When your electrical receptacles or outlets feel hot to touch, it means there’s faulty wiring happening behind-the-scenes. Your faulty wires send too much electricity to the outlets, making them feel hot, discolored, or burnt. This shows you’ve got a major energy leak that overheats the wires and the outlets. The surge in power can damage your appliances and cause a fire.

Chewed Out Wires

If you notice your wires look frayed or chewed on, you most likely have a rodent infestation. Apart from calling pest control services, you also need help from a reputable electrical services company. The pests could have chewed on the wires’ protective coating. When this happens, it exposes live wires, leaving the electrical circuit open. This can result in electrical arcing, leading to electrical shocks, burns, and fires.

Burnt or Smoky Odor

When there’s excessive heat, there’s burning and smoke. If you smell something off coming near an outlet, the wiring has already caused combustion. Don’t wait for fire damage to escalate. We service many cities in Florida. Check out our locations here: Jacksonville, Lakeland, Miami, Orlando, Pembroke Pines, Port St. Lucie, St. Petersburg, Tallahassee, Tampa and West Palm Beach.

home services blog

About Us

Privacy policy

HELP & SUPPORT

Don't miss a thing