It is inevitable to encounter electrical problems as a homeowner, especially as your home ages. Though most electrical issues are harmless, some are a big safety hazard. You need to be aware of these to prevent escalations like electric shocks and fires. Check out the most common problems below and what you can do to fix them:

Broken Light Switch

It can be irritating to flick the switch in one room, but the light doesn’t turn on. In this instance, the problem lies with the switch itself and not the system. Just turn off your circuit breaker and take a flathead screwdriver to remove the faceplate of the switch. Next, use a Phillips head to remove the switch and replace it. If you’re uncomfortable doing this on your own, call an electrician.

Short Circuit

Appliances like a hairdryer consume so much power that they result in frequent short circuits. A quick fix is to reset your breaker. When this happens with the same device, it is the machine and not your electrical system at fault. However, if it happens all the time with different appliances, call in the pros to check if you have a wiring problem.

Loose Receptacle Plug

If you have a loose receptacle or outlet plug, don’t touch it until you turn off your breaker to prevent accidents. Check if the flow is inactive by plugging something in it. From there, you can re-tighten by unscrewing the cover plate and adding outlet shims to secure it onto your wall.

Dead or Old Outlet

This can be very problematic, especially if you cannot use your appliances. It is indicative of a wiring issue that needs immediate attention. Your old outlets may need replacement to bring them up to code. Leave this job to a qualified professional.

Damaged Cord

Don’t wait for the cord to be completely frayed before addressing the issue. Deal with the cord in question ASAP to prevent exacerbation. Unplug the cord and cut off the old plug. Peel off the insulation jacket and strip each wire with a stripper. Then screw them into the back of the plug and secure the wires. If this sounds too complex, call your electrician for help.

Light Bulbs Burning Out Often

You may think this is due to overuse, but light bulbs burning out often indicates you’ve got a loose connection in the socket or circuit. With recessed lights, problematic insulation can cause overheating, so it shuts off to prevent fires. Call an electrician to assess the problem to keep an electrical fire at bay.

Flickering Lights

One flickering light means a problem with the bulb or socket. However, many flickering lights in one area or all over your house show poor connection. This can lead to arcing where corroded connections make contact, leading to sparks, overheating, and fire. If you’ve got this problem, call a pro ASAP.

Outlets or Switches are Warm

Warmth, where it’s not supposed to be, is a bad sign. This serious safety concern indicates loose wiring, leading to all that extra heat. Resolve this immediately to prevent an electrical fire. Contact your trusted electrician.

Circuit Keeps Tripping

If your breaker keeps on tripping, it is not only annoying but dangerous. This shows that your circuit is overloaded, which can cause overheating in your wiring. It can lead to a fire or electrocution. A licensed electrician can best advise you on how to repair the problem. Please view service locations here: Cary, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Durham, Greensboro, Hickory, Raleigh, Wilmington, Winston Salem, Winston Salem and Bozeman.

home services blog

About Us

Privacy policy


Don't miss a thing